Download a pet adoption application
We highly encourage prospective adopters to visit the Adoption Center as many times as they like to find the best pet to match their home and lifestyle. It’s our goal to make a perfect match the first time! Once you find a pet and fall in love, our trained adoption associates & counselors will be happy to assist you with the adoption process.
Adoption application screening, which requires the following information:
- A completed adoption application
- A driver’s license or a state-issued ID with your current address showing you are at least 18-years-old
- Residency: The owner of the home must consent to the adoption of the animal. If you rent, we require a copy of your lease stating that you are allowed to have pets and frequently also require a letter from your landlord. If you own your home, please bring a copy of your deed, mortgage payment book or tax bill.
- All members of the household must meet and approve of the new furry family member.
- If you are planning to adopt a dog and presently have a dog(s), all dogs must “meet & greet” at the Adoption Center under the supervision of a trained Providence Animal Center Animal Care Associate.
- For safety purposes, meet & greets must be performed with a 6-foot clip-on leash. Retractable leashes will not be accepted.
- Veterinary records for current or previous pets, if applicable.
Once through the adoption screening process, which takes about 15 minutes, we move right along to the match-making process. This part could take up to 60 minutes. Our trained counselors will review your application and conduct an interview to ensure:
- The age and energy level of the animal you chose is a good fit for your current lifestyle and home environment
- Your plan for acclimating the new pet to your home is sufficient for that pet
- Any expectations you have of your new pet are satisfied
- Any behaviors quirks noted about the animal are reviewed with you and a mutual agreement between you and your counselor is made that the pet is a good fit
- Counseling for behavior, exercise, acclimation and training needs of the pet is thoroughly reviewed and understood
- In some cases, it’s determined the chosen pet may not be the best match for your home and lifestyle, based upon our expert counselors’ assessment from the application and interview. In that case, we will do our very best to guide you available pets that would be a better match for you and your family.
The last step in the process takes about 20 minutes and involves an adoption associate reviewing all medical information we have on the chosen pet with you. Additionally, you will sign an adoption contract and other policies and procedures will be reviewed with you, such as our post-adoption veterinary care policy. Payment is required at this time unless the adoption fee of the pet is sponsored or waived! In all cases, we appreciate additional donations to support the lifesaving work done by Providence Animal Center every day. Every penny counts, so please give what you can for our other homeless pets.
Adoption fees vary per animal, depending on age, breed and medical/behavioral conditions. Sometimes, we may be offering adoption promotions. Visit our Facebook page to see if we have any current specials.
Ongoing adoption specials:
- Everyday low cat adoption fee of $25
- Save a Paw, Get a Paw: When you adopt a cat or kitten, you can bring home a cat aged 6+ months old at no fee!
- Seniors Saving Seniors: People aged 55+ years old can adopt a cat aged 5+ years old for just $15.50 or a dog aged 5+ years old+ for just $55.50.
*Denotes variable adoption fees could apply to certain pets. Variable adoption fees are higher than our standard adoption fees, which enable us to care for animals in need of lifesaving medical and behavioral intervention. Variable pricing typically applies to puppies, small dogs and purebred animals.
Tax is not included in the above figures.
Every pet adopted from Providence Animal Center comes with:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Wellness check
- Initial vaccinations
- Microchip with lifetime registration
- Heartworm testing (dogs 6+ months old)
- FeLV/FIV testing
- Complimentary wellness visit at a participating private veterinary practice up to 30 days post-adoption
- Discounted wellness care from our medical department up to 10 days post-adoption
- Personality evaluation
- Unlimited phone consultations and e-mail exchanges with our trained feline and canine behavior experts
A total value of $450-$500
Cash and all major credit cards