Lost and Found
Providence Animal Center, formerly known as the Delaware County SPCA, is not contracted for animal control services, and therefore cannot accept stray animals. Contact your municipality/township building to see what animal control service your municipality in contracted with.
If you have found a stray animal in Delaware County:
- Contact 911, let them know it is a “non-emergency” and ask them to transfer you to the Animal Control service contracted to the municipality in which the pet was found to receive further instruction.
- Get the pet scanned for a microchip - vet offices, shelters, boarding facilities and most police officers own microchip scanning wands.
- Post “Found Pet” signs/pictures online, in your neighborhood, or wherever you found the pet.
- If an owner is able to be located, have them provide proof of ownership before relinquishing the found pet
- If you suspect that the pet is suffering from abuse or neglect (within Delaware or Chester Counties) email our Humane Investigators, or call us at 610-566-1370 x214 to report the situation.
Here are a few suggestions if your pet is lost:
- Contact 911, let them know it is a “non-emergency” and ask them to transfer you to the Animal Control service contracted to the municipality in which the pet was lost, as well as the Animal Control service contracted to the municipality in which the pet lives, to report the pet as lost
- Contact your microchip company to see if they can send out a “lost pet blast” to local vet offices, rescues and police stations.
- Post “Lost Pet” signs/pictures online, in your neighborhood or wherever you lost your pet.
- Ask local vet offices, police stations, rescues, neighbors, mail carriers, etc. if they can post signs/keep an eye out for your lost pet.
- If your pet went missing from your home, place items outside that are covered in your/your pet’s scent that your dog or cat may b able to detect.
- For cats, place their litter-box outside (do not clean if possible–a dirty litter-box will be easier for the cat to smell and recognize).